Soya Pyaaz Ki Seekh kabob
I love summers. Abundant produce, long days and backyard barbecues. I love anything and everything that comes off the grill. The smoky aroma it imparts to the food is so appetizing. We have grilled all the way till October, even when it is raining with an umbrella in the hand, umbrella not for us but for the grill 😉
Today it was a gorgeous evening, the first moon was in the sky. It marks the beginning of Ramdan. It was not too hot, prefect temperature to have a meal on the patio.
This recipe today sort of helps me be vegetarian on Monday. It is perfect for the #meatlessmondays and the grill.
I love watching all food shows but there are some favorites and master chef is one of them. I loved the indian version more because there was Vikas Khanna and there was Ranveer Brar ;). Recently I got a chance to meet with Vikas Khanna( thanks to a dear friend)
Today’s recipe is based on his recipe. I made a few tweaks, it is a keeper
1.5 cup soya chunks or 1 cup granules
1 large potato
1/2 onion finely chopped
1-2 green chilies chopped
1 tsp Shahi Jeera
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 pinch cardamom powder
1-2 drops of liquid smoke
A few mint leaves chopped
Salt to taste
- Boil the potato, peel and mash well.
- Soak the soya chunks in hot water for 15-20 mins. Drain and squeeze out excess water.
- Pulse in the food processor to get a minced meat like consistency.
- In a pan heat the oil, add jeera when the oil is hot. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and chilies and sauté on medium heat till brown.
- Add these onions to the soya mixture along with potatoes and rest of the ingredients.
- Make patties and shallow fry in a pan or make long rolls and shape lo a kabob on a skewer. Cook till crispy outside.
- Remember everything else is cooked so make sure you don’t let the kabob dry out.
I served it with a Rose-strawberry coconut smoothie with chia seeds, it seemed to somehow compliment the colors of the sky.